In and Around Thirkleby Hall
Our self catering cottages offer the perfect base for exploring beautiful North Yorkshire and its many visitor attractions. We are on the doorstep of the spectacular escarpment of Sutton Bank, which James Herriot believed to offer the finest view in England, and a short drive away from Kilburn Woods (dog paradise) and the famous White Horse.
We are only five minutes’ drive from the fascinating town of Thirsk – bustling markets (Saturday and Monday), racecourse, excellent swimming pool, cinema, lots of great shops and, of course the James Herriot Visitor Centre.
We have a great tourist information centre in Thirsk (see their link below) and here are also links to some of our favourite places.
- Thirsk Tourist Information
- Castle Howard Stately Home
- Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden
- Helmsley Walled Garden
- Mouseman Visitor Centre
- National Railway Museum at York the largest railway museum in the World
- Newby Hall
- North York Moors Railway
- The Ritz Cinema Thirsk Volunteer run cinema
- Thorp Perrow Arboretum near Bedale
- World of James Herriot
- Yorkshire Air Museum
- Yorkshire Lavender
- Yorkshire Outdoors
- Rural Arts
Where to Eat
We are absolutely spoiled for choice when it comes to great places to eat! Here are some of our favourites – tried and tested for tasty tucker, cosy ambience and reasonably priced and all within 10 minutes’ drive from our cottages.
- Black Lion, Thirsk
- Carlton Inn, Carlton Husthwaite
- Carpenters Arms, Felixkirk
- Fauconberg Arms, Coxwold
- Moor & Pheasant, Dalton
- Old Oak Tree, South Kilvington
- Oswalds, Sowerby
And if you want to push the boat out, we can recommend: